
Her name was Helen, but I called her Nanny. She was my Mom's Mom, and she was more than just a grandma to me; she was my constant companion. She was also the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. Her husband, my Grandfather, was madly in love with her. After all, everyone was madly in love with her; that Jane Russell - raven hair, and that mischievous sparkle in her eye- she was magical.
She loved playing her piano, and used to teach me to play as well. We'd sit for hours and have lessons. We also listened to records together; Andrews Sisters and especially Bing Crosby. We loved Bing Crosby. Nanny taught me to whistle, and comforted me when I whistled so much, I gave myself a headache.
When she got sick, I was too young to understand what was going on. There was a lot of back and fourth to the creepy stinky hospital, which seemed to me, an awful unfair interruption of our constant fun. I had no idea what a brain tumor meant. One day, they took me in to see her. I was especially frightened because, not only was there crying going on in my house, but the whole world seemed to be crying. I watched on the TV, as people talked about the death of some fat man who wore capes and had big hair. In the elevator, on the way up to Nanny's room, some boy around my age whispered, "The King is dead". I didn't really know what that meant but it did seem a bad omen for Nanny. My Aunt and Mom waited outside as I went in alone. Bewildered, I asked Nanny what was going on? Why was everyone in such a bad mood. Had I done something wrong?
"Listen," she said as she held me tight, "Things are never going to be the same after today. I need you to be brave and remember no matter what happens, that you are a good girl, and I will always love you."
Later, I watched as they wheeled her down the hall. The gravity of the situation must have set in, because I remember kicking and screaming, crying for her. I stopped playing the piano after that.
My whole life, she has been by my side; an incandescent angel. She's saved me from bad situations, advised me in challenging ones. I believe she has even had a hand in helping me to find my amazing husband; a man who loves me just as much as my Grandfather loved her. Recently, we celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. On the same day, we purchased a beautiful old piano at an estate sale. As I watch my own children enjoy this new piano, I think of Nanny's old piano, and feel her beside us as we play. Her spirit now watches over my sweet children, through the honey tones of the black and white keys.

Beautiful, Gabbie. Simply beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThat is beautiful Gabrielle.
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies! Sorry for the bold font. I wrote this while my kids were oddly sleeping in in Monday morning in notes on iphone and copied and pasted into mobile blog. Oh well, I'll work out my kinks one of these days, or not.
ReplyDelete